Compliance Audit Comittee
The Council of The Corporation of the City of North Bay invites applications from qualified persons who wish to be considered for appointment to the Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee. Appointments are on a volunteer basis and no compensation will be paid. The term of office will expire on November 30, 2018.
Mandate: If one or more applications are received for an audit of municipal elections expenses of one or more candidate, the Committee will be required to:
- consider a compliance audit application received from an elector and decide whether it should be granted or rejected;
- if the application is granted, appoint an auditor;
- receive the auditor’s report;
- consider the auditor’s report and decide whether legal proceedings should be commenced; and
- recover the costs of conducting the compliance audit from the applicant if there were no apparent contraventions and if there appears to be no reasonable grounds for having made the application.
The powers and functions of the Committee are set out in subsections 81(3), (4), (7), (10) and (11) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
Membership will be drawn from the following groups:
- accounting and audit – accountants or auditors with experience in preparing or auditing the financial statements of municipal candidates;
- academic – college or university professors with expertise in political science or local government administration;
- professionals who in the course of their duties are required to adhere to codes of standards of their profession which may be enforced by disciplinary tribunals; and
- other individuals with demonstrated knowledge of the campaign financing rules of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
Tel: 705-474-0626 Ext. 2510
Meetings will be held as required.
Application forms are available from the Clerk’s Department or on the City’s website: www.cityofnorthbay.ca
Completed application forms must be delivered or mailed so that they are received by noon on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 to:Cathy Conrad, City Clerk
5th Floor, City Hall
200 McIntyre Street East
P.O. Box 360
North Bay, ON P1B 8H8