Get Involved! Share Your Ideas About Indoor
Recreation Facilities in North Bay!
The City of North Bay is preparing a Multi-Use Recreational Facility (MURF) Feasibility Study to assess the need for and feasibility of renovating, replacing, and/or constructing indoor recreation facilities. Specifically, this project will consider improvements to Memorial Gardens Arena, Pete Palangio Arena, and West Ferris Community Centre. In addition, the demand for other facilities such as additional arenas, indoor turf facilities, walking/jogging tracks, and other multi-use spaces will be assessed.
MURF Feasibility Study Focus
The MURF Feasibility Study is expected to be completed by Fall 2012 and will focus on:
- trends in sport participation, facility design, and facility utilization;
- community input and stakeholder consultation;
- the condition and design of existing arenas, including their ability to meet current and future user needs;
- an analysis of partnership and sport tourism opportunities, user fee impacts, and funding sources;
- the costs and benefits of various options; and
- an implementation plan to achieve the Study's objectives.
Community Opportunities for Input
There are many opportunities to participate in the planning process, including:
- March/April 2012 - Participate if you are contacted for the random sample Household Telephone Survey If your household is called, you will have the opportunity to provide input that will help us understand your views on indoor recreation facilities in North Bay.
- Share ideas with your Councillor and representatives of local community groups as we will be discussing needs and options with them.
- Wednesday April 18, 2012 - Attend a Public Open House from 6:00-8:00 pm at the City Hall Lobby (200 McIntryre St. E.). Stop by to provide information and your ideas to consider in the Study's planning process.
- Tuesday, October 30th, 7:00pm - West Ferris Arena, Auditorium. A presentation of the study's draft recommendations. Provide your comments.
- MURF - Draft Recommendations, Public Presentation - Please provide comments or suggestions by November 30, 2012 to Ian Kilgour, contact information below.
- Status Update The final report for the MURF study process was presented to City Council at the Committee Meeting on Monday, January 28th. A copy of the presentation can be found here. Council will make a recommendation regarding next steps regarding the report at the Council meeting on February 4, 2013.
This study is being led by an advisory committee consisting of community representatives
and City staff, with assistance from a multi-disciplinary consulting team. Should
you have any questions regarding the Multi-Use Recreational Facility Feasibility
Study, please contact:
Ian Kilgour, Director Parks, Recreation and Leisure Services
Phone: 705-474-0626 ext. 2322
Please check back regularly for project updates.
ContactsIan Kilgour, Director
Parks, Recreation and Leisure Services
(705) 474-0400, ext. 2322
Rhéaume Bellehumeur, Facilities & Parking Supervisor
(705) 474-0400, ext. 2327
Melinda Fry, Recreation Co-ordinator
(705) 474-0400, ext. 2321
Erin Vaughan, Community Event Facilitator
(705) 474-0400, ext. 2312
Sandy Moffat, Clerk Stenographer
(705) 474-0400, ext. 2329