2013 Property Assessment Notices
On November 1, 2013, the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) will begin delivering nearly one million Property Assessment Notices to property taxpayers across the province updating information for properties that have undergone a change since the 2012 province-wide Assessment Update.
Some of the reasons for receiving a Property Assessment Notice this fall include:
- a change to property ownership or legal description;
- a change to the property’s assessment resulting from a Request for Reconsideration or Assessment Review Board decision;
- a property value increase or decrease reflecting a change to the property, for example, a new structure, addition, or removal or demolition of an old structure; or,
- a change in the classification or tax liability of a property.
Each Notice mailed this fall shows the assessed value and classification of a property based on the legislated valuation date of January 1, 2012, which is in place for the 2013-2016 property tax years. All eligible assessment increases are phased-in over four years while decreases are applied immediately.
To help you answer taxpayers’ questions, information kits will be distributed and posted to www.mpac.ca and will include the following:
- a sample Property Assessment Notice;
- a copy of the Information Insert included with every Notice;
- an Important Information About Your Property Assessment brochure; and,
- a fact sheet about MPAC.
MPAC's AboutMyProperty™ Gains International Recognition
MPAC’s self-service portal AboutMyProperty™ has been recognized as a technology and innovation leader after receiving several awards at the provincial, national and international level. Some recent highlights include:
- acknowledgement of Privacy Ambassador from the Privacy Commissioner of Ontario;
- Cloud Computing Innovation Award from the CATAAlliance innovation;
- honoree for the Government Technology Exhibition and Conference (GTEC) 2013 Distinction Awards program;
- 2013 International Architecture Excellence Award finalist; and,
- shortlisted in the category of Best Enterprise Architecture in Government, Public Sector and Defence, as well as the category of Cloud Technology by the world-recognized Enterprise and IT Architecture Award.
MPAC's Richmond Hill Office is Moving
In late November, MPAC’s Richmond Hill staff will be opening the doors to their new assessment office. The new office is located at:
100 Via Renzo Drive
Richmond Hill ON L4S 0B8