Angus Block

Site 28:
Angus Block
Location:
374 Fraser Street
Date Originally Built:
1914
Present Use:
Offices
Evaluation Score:
Priority Two

One of many familiar commercial properties located in the downtown area, this building is noted for its parapet at roofline, and for its highly distinctive white stone window surrounds consisting of stepped lintels, quoined jambs and flat sills. Other notable features include the toothed heading of the in-stepped brick facing and bracketed canopy over the third floor paired openings.

This structure bears much similarity to many of the Main Street buildings that were erected in the First World War era. The date stone would indicate that H.W. Angus, early noted architect in North Bay, was responsible for its design and erection.

Constructed in 1914, the Angus Block still acts as offices for many of the community’s professionals. In the past it has housed the constituency office of Michael Harris, former Premier of the Province of Ontario.