Former Mulligan Block

Site 9:
Former Mulligan Block
Location:
123 Main Street West
Date Originally Built:
1915
Present Use:
Private Parking Lot
Evaluation Score:
Priority One

This building, constructed in 1915-1920, was similar to many of the original downtown properties developed in the era of WWI. Typically, they housed a variety of commercial enterprises on the main street floor, with second and third floors occupied by business and/or warehousing uses. Subsequently, many were converted to residential accommodations as the demand for such space arose. As was common in most Ontario towns that developed in this period, this building was complemented with a bracketed cornice at roof level.  The sophisticated signage on the matched awnings of the two shops at ground level contributed an aura of quality to the streetscape of the downtown area in its time.

Originally owned by early North Bay merchant Bernard M. Mulligan as of 1921, this structure has housed offices and retail stores including the quality wool goods shop of the Mulligan family, until it was destroyed by fire in 2002. Unfortunately, the city was then deprived of a significant component of the early downtown core, which was also of historic value as a true representative of the style of early 20th century commercial development in this province.