Milne Residence

Site 17:
Milne Residence
Location:
610 Copeland Street
Date Originally Built:
1900
Present Use:
Private Residence
Evaluation Score:
Priority One

This impressive home, located on an unusually large lot for North Bay’s west end, was constructed for William Milne Sr. in the early 1900s. Milne was the owner of Wm. Milne & Sons Lumber Co., which was located at the present site of the Ministry of Natural Resources on Trout Lake Road from the early 1900s to 1944. Milne was also a former alderman and Mayor of North Bay in 1909 and 1910.

The house is set back on the property, contributing to the landmark quality of the site. The large side yard housed a tennis court during the first two decades of the house. The exterior is simple, but the structure is reminiscent of the local history of the lumber and crafts industry. The exterior walls are sheathed with shiplap-type wood siding. The roof is sheathed in wood shingles. The veranda, which wraps around the front and side of the home, once extended to the rear of the home as well, but it was later removed.

The interior has been retained in near original condition. The owners have maintained much of the original woodwork and design features. Significant features include the cabinetry of the butler pantry and the stairwell with dual landings in the foyer and kitchen. The interior doors, frames, and hardware are also well-preserved, adding to the charm and opulence of the home. The commitment of the home’s owners to its historical integrity is exemplified in the custom-built electric range stove built within the housing of the kitchen’s original wood stove.