Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) Building
- Site 42:
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) Building
- 3301 Trout Lake Road
- Date Originally Built:
- circa 1940
- Present Use:
- As above
- Evaluation Score:
- Priority Three
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry: "protects Ontario's biodiversity while promoting economic opportunities in the resource sector and supporting outdoor recreation opportunities" from its pie shaped waterfront lot on Trout Lake Road.
This property was first home to Milne Lumber Company. The Milne family moved to North Bay from Trout Creek in 1896 and established lumber operations here. Milne Lumber operations ceased around 1940 and it is estimated that the 'Lands and Forests' building was erected within the next decade.
The main building is comprised of red brick and concrete lintels. Some impressive aspects of heritage ornamentation are worthy of note including the coat of arms crest above the main entrance, which gives the building the unmistakable prominence of an official government building. Several additions and conversions were made to the original structure sometime in the 1980s.
Although the Ministry has undergone a few name and structural changes, it has withstood the test of time and remains functional under the same use as when first constructed.