North Bay Masonic Temple

Site 26:
North Bay Masonic Temple
Location:
183 First Avenue West
Date Originally Built:
1928
Present Use:
As above
Evaluation Score:
Priority One

This Temple was built in 1928 and was first used as a meeting and dance hall. During the Second World War it served as a centre for medical examinations of those local residents contemplating military service.

The building is neo-classical in style, employing typically symmetrical exterior elements in the front fa├žade. The outstanding architectural features of this building include the engaged piers and stepped parapet carried by the entablature. The grand stone entranceway aptly expresses the major function of this structure as an assembly hall.

Through regular maintenance and a commendable approach to preservation, the Masonic order has ensured that continuing usage has persisted over three quarters of a century in the purpose for which the building was originally designed.