St. Andrew's United Church

Site 34:
St. Andrew's United Church
Location:
290 Algonquin Avenue
Date Originally Built:
1904
Present Use:
As above
Evaluation Score:
Priority Two

This building was constructed in 1904 on lands received in 1885 as a gift from North Bay’s founder, John Ferguson. Subsequent additions to the main entry and to the tower have been executed in a successful combination of old and new, which has much enhanced the original design.

This church is complemented with a high pitched gabled roof supported internally by hammer beams. It is interesting to note that the original pews and benches were cast off seats from the United Church in Pembroke, Ontario.

Initially of the Presbyterian faith, St. Andrew’s joined with the former Methodist congregation at Trinity in favouring the formation of the United Church of Canada.

The church fronts on an open ‘parkette’ at the junction of Main and Cassells Streets with Algonquin Avenue, therefore offering a generous view of the building to both motorists and pedestrians.