St. Joseph's Mother House

Site 15:
St. Joseph's Mother House
Location:
2025 Main Street West
Date Originally Built:
1938
Present Use:
As above
Evaluation Score:
Priority One

The St. Joseph’s Mother House, constructed in 1938, has many commendable features, including well detailed buttresses incorporated in the exterior red brick masonry, and a hint of gothic form in the triangular arches of some windows, coupled with an indented faced headed by curved arches. These details are all at the third floor level near the main entry. These subtle components of the otherwise simple concept achieve a modest dignity most appropriate to the regional centre of this religious order of devout sisters.

Over time there have been many changes to this structure in the form of several additions overlapping the main building. These have occurred in response to the demands for expansion to accommodate the needs of the growing surrounding community, and to adjust to changing policies of usage and occupancy.

As well as being the headquarters of the Sisters of St. Joseph, Diocese of Sault Ste. Marie, accommodation for a residential Catholic girls’ secondary school was provided. Eventually, this school was relocated to form a component of the St. Joseph-Scollard Hall Catholic Secondary School at the site of the former boys’ school.

Meanwhile, the Mother House has continued to house a resident population of accredited sisters together with accommodations for the education of prospective members of this order. More recently, as their numbers have grown, accommodation is provided for retired members.