Dangers of Cell Phone Charging Cords

Good afternoon:

At 1246pm this date North Bay Fire Crews attended a home on Princess St. E. and discovered that a cell phone charging cord experienced an electrical failure & began to burn. 

The cell phone charging cord was plugged into a ‘power bar’ and the power bar was plugged into a living room electrical outlet, however the cord was not plugged into the SAMSUNG Galaxy S6 cell phone.  The end of the cord was simply laying on the hardwood floor.

The homeowner stated that the cord was always plugged into the power bar.  The homeowner detected the smell of ‘electrical burning’ & discovered that the end of the cord was disfigured with obvious signs of burning & contacted North Bay Fire Dispatch.

The burning process left a small deposit of white plastic on the hardwood floor.

Had the cord been resting on the couch the result may have been the production of an open flame.

The cause of the incident is attributed to an electrical defect within the device.

We will notify SAMSUNG, Health Canada & the Electrical Safety Authority of this incident.

PLEASE ADVISE CITIZENS NOT TO LEAVE ANY CELL PHONE CHARGING CORD PLUGGED IN WHEN THE CORD IS UNATTENDED.

Thank you,

Randy