Heat Warning issued, cooling centres open
NORTH BAY, ON – July 12, 2016 – A Heat Warning has been issued by Environment Canada for North Bay and surrounding areas. As a result high heat and humidity are expected over the next few days.
In addition to the air-conditioned malls and grocery stores, the City has identified the following places as cooling centres to help residents take a break from the heat:
- Pete Palangio Arena, 603 Wallace Road (7 a.m. to 11 p.m.)
- West Ferris Community Centre, 42 Gertrude St. E. (7 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
- North Bay Public Library, 271 Worthington Street East (during regular hours)
Members of the public are also advised to beat the heat by taking these precautions:
- Drink plenty of cool fluids
- Wear loose-fitting, light-coloured, breathable clothing and a wide-brimmed hat when outdoors
- Take cool showers or baths or use cool towels to cool down
- Avoid the sun and stay in a shaded area
- Never leave seniors, children or pets unattended in a car
- Reschedule outdoor activities for the cooler parts of the day
- Make meals that don’t need to be cooked in an oven
- Block the sun by closing awnings, curtains and blinds during the day
The City of North Bay is a city of 54,000 people situated between the shores of Lake Nipissing and Trout Lake. Visit our website at cityofnorthbay.ca.