Voter Information

Every Canadian citizen has the right to vote. It is how Canadians choose which leaders represent them. Voting is a responsibility that all Canadians should exercise. Your community is shaped by the outcome of an Election. Voting connects citizens with the political process and with each other. When you take part in an election and express your view, you make democracy work.

In the next election, North Bay voters will vote to elect their Mayor, Councillors and School Board Trustees. Voting for a Mayor and Councillors gives you a say in the direction the City of North Bay will take. This includes changes and additions to services that impact the people of North Bay daily, such as transit, parks, recreation programs, animal and by-law services, and more. School Board Trustees are elected to make decisions on budgets and facilities in your school system.


A person is entitled to be an elector at an election held in a local municipality (unless prohibited by this Act or any other Act) if, on Voting Day (Monday, October 22, 2018), he or she:

  • Is a Canadian citizen,
  • Is at least 18 years old,
  • Resides in the local municipality, or is the owner or tenant of land in the local municipality, or the spouse of such a person; and
  • Is not prohibited from voting under any law.


A person's residence is the permanent lodging place to which, whenever absent, he or she intends to return.

The following rules apply in determining a person's residence:

  1. A person may only have one residence at a time;
  2. The place where a person's family resides is also his or her residence, unless he or she moves elsewhere with the intention of changing his or her permanent lodging place;
  3. If a person has no other permanent lodging place, the place where he or she occupies a room or part of a room as a regular lodger to which he or she habitually returns is his or her residence.

Resident Elector

A resident elector is where a person lives, and is eligible to vote in that municipality's election. A person is only allowed to have one residence.

Non-Resident Elector (Seasonal Resident)

If a person lives in one municipality, but owns or rents property in another municipality, then they are a non-resident elector and able to vote in that municipality's election.

Spouse of Non-Resident Elector

If a person lives in one municipality, and qualifies as a spouse of a non-resident elector, then they are able to vote in that municipality's election.

Homeless Persons

Persons without a permanent residence may also qualify to be added to the Voters' List during the revision period by submitting an application to the Clerk. If a person has no permanent residence or lodging place, the following rules apply in determining his or her residence:

  1. The place to which the person most frequently returned to sleep or eat during the five weeks preceding the determination is his or her residence.
  2. If the person returns with equal frequency to one place to sleep and to another to eat, the place to which he or she returns to sleep is his or her residence.
  3. Multiple returns to the same place during a single day, whether to eat or to sleep shall be considered one return.
  4. A person's affidavit regarding the places to which he or she returned to eat or sleep during a given time period is conclusive, in the absence of evidence to the contrary.


A person may have residences in two local municipalities at the same time if the person lives in one of the local municipalities in order to attend an education institution, but not with the intention of changing his or her permanent lodging place, and the person's permanent lodging place is in the other local municipality.

This means that students are able to vote in the municipality where they attend school and also in the municipality where they live.

Electoral Status for School Boards

The electoral status for school purposes is shown on the Voters' List. A voter may apply for correction of the List during the revision period (Tuesday September 4, 2018 up to and including Voting Day, Monday October 22, 2018). Therefore, a person may apply to change their school support up to and including Voting Day. Qualifications for and definitions of the categories of school electors are found in the Education Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom:

  • Voters must be Roman Catholic and be otherwise qualified as electors to be separate school electors. Voters must have French Language Education Rights to be supporters for French language school board.
  • Non-resident owners or tenants, or spouses of owners or tenants of commercially and industrially assessed lands are not eligible to vote for school board purposes.

English-language public school board is the default for a voter unless they are qualified to be a separate or French school board supporter.

'Supporter' means which school board the school portion of the property taxes goes to. 

Since the adoption of Ontario Regulation 304/13, there is only ONE list and only ONE item of acceptable identification is required. That ONE item must be an original, certified or notarial copy and shall show the person's name and qualifying address.

Consult the list of acceptable identification on the Ontario e-Laws website.

Identification (ID) is needed when you go to vote. Remember to bring one piece of ID showing your name and qualifying North Bay address. Your Voter Information Card cannot be used as a piece of ID.

If you do not have acceptable ID, and are not on the voters’ list, you will be asked to return with your ID in order to receive a ballot.

Types of Acceptable Identification Showing Name and North Bay Address:

  • Ontario issued photo card, driver’s licence or motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion).
  • Cancelled personalized cheque, credit card or bank account statement.
  • Utility bill for hydro, telephone or cable TV, water, gas or a bill from a public utilities commission.
  • Cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer.
  • Statement of direct deposit for Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program.
  • Property tax assessment, income tax assessment notice, Child Tax Benefit statement.
  • Mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement.
  • Transcript or report card from a post-secondary school.
  • Document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution.
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or a document issued or certified by a court in Ontario.
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada).
  • Insurance policy or insurance statement.
  • Loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution.
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E.
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS), Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P), Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions.
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007.
  • CNIB card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities.
  • Document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home.
  • Hospital card or record.


Are you on the Voters’ List for the 2018 Municipal Elections?

You can check to see if you are on the Voters’ List by calling the City Clerk’s Office

between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

The preliminary list of all electors as required by the Municipal Elections Act will be available in the City Clerk’s Office on:


Electors should confirm that their names and relevant information (including school board support) are correct.

Applications for additions or corrections to, or deletions from the list may be made by an elector by completing and filing an Application for revision at the Office of the City Clerk, 5th Floor, City Hall.  All applications for revision must be in the designated form, properly completed and signed by the applicant.  Photo-identification and proof of qualifying address will be required.

The last day for filing concerning additions, corrections or deletions is:


For further information, please call the City Clerk’s Office 705-474-0626, ext. 2522.

The City of North Bay is committed to ensuring that all qualified electors have the opportunity to vote.  

 Any questions or comments regarding accessibility should be directed to the Clerk.

Voter FAQ

Voter Forms

Please monitor our website as we continue to post information regarding the 2018 Municipal Election. If you have any questions, please contact the municipal office at 705-474-0400, or by email at


Karen McIsaac
 City Clerk
 (705) 474-0400 x2510