Freedom of Information Requests
Access & Privacy
There are a number of reasons a municipality may collect personal information including:
- To establish, administer and maintain billing, payment (ie. Taxes) and other service information
- To process requests for services or information (ie. Planning applications, permits and licences)
- To communicate with you about services, information requests, or applications
- To communicate any changes or disruptions in services
Correspondence to Council
Please note that letters and other information submitted to Mayor and/or Council may become part of the public record and may be made available through the agenda process which includes the posting on the municipality’s website.
Requesting Information from the City
Need a copy of a record filed with, or created by the City?
We have a number of records available electronically on our website. Some of those frequently requested include:
- Awarded Bid & Tender Information
- Council & Committee Agendas, Minutes & Webcasts
- City Projects & Priorities including the City's Strategic Plan
- Corporate Financial Statements
- Approved Operating and Capital Budgets
- Various Applications and Forms
Making a Freedom of Information Request
The Freedom of Information (FOI) process is a part of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). This legal process was designed to make sure that all requests for access to information are treated fairly and objectively.
The law (MFIPPA) sets out that records should be made available to the public, and that certain types of information such as personal privacy of others, trade secrets, lawyer-client privilege, etc. must be protected.
By filing an FOI request you have the right to appeal any decision by the City to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC). This allows for another neutral third party to look at the records, the law, and determine whether access will be given or if the decision of the City will be upheld.
Follow this process to request information from the City:
- FOI Requests will not be started without receipt of the $5 fee, and, if applicable, once the request has been clarified.
- Except where an extension is necessary, all FOI Requests will be completed within 30 calendar days from date of receipt of payment
- Print and complete the Access or Correction Request Form OR attend the location below to obtain a copy of the Form
- Attention: City Clerk/Deputy City Clerk , City Hall, 5th Floor - Clerk’s Office, 200 McIntyre Street East, North Bay ON P1B 8V6
- Payment: we accept cheques only and must be made payable to the “The City of North Bay"
Drop Box (City Hall):
- Print and complete the Access or Correction Request Form
- Mark your envelope: City Clerk/Deputy City Clerk , City Hall, 5th Floor - Clerk’s Office
- Payment: we accept cheques only and must be made payable to the “The City of North Bay" (please do not put cash in the envelope)
Until further notice, the "In Person" method of receiving requests has been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Print and complete the Access or Correction Request Form, or, attend the location below to obtain a copy
- Drop Off Location: City Hall, 5th Floor - Clerk’s Office, 200 McIntyre Street East, North Bay ON
- Payment: we accept cash, debit, and cheques
Law Enforcement Requests (Records & Video Recordings)
Law enforcement agencies such as the City of North Bay Police, Ontario Provincial Police, the Children's Aid Society, etc. may request information from the City to aid in an investigation.
Records routinely available to the public are also routinely available to any law enforcement agency subject to any relevant conditions.
Records containing personal information may also be disclosed to a law enforcement agency.
These types of requests must be made by dropping off the Form to the Clerk’s Office – 5th Floor at City Hall during regular business hours, or, by emailing same to emailing the City Clerk or Deputy City Clerk .
Note: Any requests involving confidential or third party information will require a subpoena or court order.
Fee: There is no fee associated with this type of request unless identified by the City Clerk or Deputy City Clerk in accordance with the MFIPPA or the City’s User Fees By-Law.