Consent to Sever

A land severance (consent) is the authorized separation of a piece of land to form two new adjoining, but separate properties. This is required if the owner wants to sell, mortgage, obtain a right-of-way or easement, or lease for more than 21 years part of his or her land. Once a severance has been approved, the new land parcel may be sold or resold without further approval, depending on the type of consent given. In order to be approved, it is the Committee of Adjustment responsibility to evaluate consent applications to determine whether or not the granting of the consent is in the public interest after considering planning principles within the Official Plan, Zoning By-law and Provincial Policy Statement.


For your convenience, here is a checklist of items required to submit along with the above-noted applications. Failure to provide any of the information will result in your application being deemed incomplete and returned to you. If deemed necessary, Staff may also require additional information in addition to the items below. 

  • 1 copy of the completed application form (in its entirety) with original signatures 
  • 1 copy of the sketch, drawn to scale and preferably on an 8.5” x 11” sheet. The sketch must indicate all items listed in Section 10 of the Minor Variance application and Section 8 of the Consent application. 
  • 1 hard copy of any required technical or justification study. We also request a copy of this study via e-mail in order to distribute to the appropriate agency (i.e North Bay-Mattawa Conservation Authority). 
  • The required fee (cash or cheque) 
  • A cover letter or planning report summarizing the purpose and justification of the application 
  • A current PIN sheet/Parcel Register as proof of registered ownership (obtain from the Land Registry Office) 
  • If the applicant is a numbered company or a Corporation, please provide a list of Officers (President, Treasurer, etc) who have signing authority on behalf of the business.

In the case of Consent applications, we will require the applicant to mark the front of the subject property using wooden stakes with bright paint in order to assist the Committee of Adjustment Members and Staff with the inspections.

Failure to clearly mark the area may result in a deferral of your application. 

Application Form

Consent to Sever Application forms are located on the Forms Page


Elizabeth Courville
 Zoning Administrator
 (705) 474-0400 x2401