Minor Variance

The City of North Bay's Zoning By-law regulates the way in which land can be used in the City by designating different areas with land use zones. The by-laws also contain rules that apply to each zone for things such as permitted uses, building set backs and lot coverage. Because it is difficult for the zoning by-laws to address every circumstance that may affect the development or use of a particular property, the Planning Act allows City Council to establish a Committee of Adjustment to which property owners can apply when they require a "minor variation" to the regulations.

A minor variance is a variation from the requirements of the City of North Bay Zoning By-law 28-80. The need for the variance is created by circumstances peculiar to the land, building, structures or use that prevent the owner from meeting all of the requirements of the by-law.

When are Minor Variances granted?

Minor Variances may be granted provided that, in the opinion of the Committee:

  • the request is minor in nature,
  • is desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure, and
  • if in the opinion of the Committee, the general intent and purpose of the zoning by-law and the Official Plan are maintained.


For your convenience, here is a checklist of items required to submit along with the above-noted applications. Failure to provide any of the information will result in your application being deemed incomplete and returned to you. If deemed necessary, Staff may also require additional information in addition to the items below. 

  • 1 copy of the completed application form (in its entirety) with original signatures 
  • 1 copy of the sketch, drawn to scale and preferably on an 8.5” x 11” sheet. The sketch must indicate all items listed in Section 10 of the Minor Variance application and Section 8 of the Consent application. 
  • 1 hard copy of any required technical or justification study. We also request a copy of this study via e-mail in order to distribute to the appropriate agency (i.e North Bay-Mattawa Conservation Authority). 
  • The required fee (cash or cheque) 
  • A cover letter or planning report summarizing the purpose and justification of the application 
  • A current PIN sheet/Parcel Register as proof of registered ownership (obtain from the Land Registry Office) 
  • If the applicant is a numbered company or a Corporation, please provide a list of Officers (President, Treasurer, etc) who have signing authority on behalf of the business.

In the case of Consent applications, we will require the applicant to mark the front of the subject property using wooden stakes with bright paint in order to assist the Committee of Adjustment Members and Staff with the inspections.

Failure to clearly mark the area may result in a deferral of your application. 

Application Form

Minor Variance Application forms are located on the Forms Page


Elizabeth Courville
 Zoning Administrator
 (705) 474-0400 x2401