Playgrounds are meant for children; however, children should be supervised by an adult guardian while they are using equipment.
Check the Children
- Remove drawstrings, loose clothing, skipping ropes and bicycle helmets as they have caused strangulation of children on playground equipment.
Establish Some Rules
- No drawstrings, skipping ropes on slides or swings
- No bicycle helmets while on playground equipment
- Wear shoes
- Tuck in or remove scarves, shoelaces, hat and clothing ties and loose clothing
Check the Playground
- Check the playground equipment before your child uses it. Equipment is checked on a regular basis by Parks staff; however, just because a playground was safe yesterday, it does not mean it is safe today. Many people use playgrounds for many purposes.
- If you notice that a piece of equipment needs repair, please report it by calling the Parks Department at 705-474-0626 ext. 2600 or after hours and on weekends: Public Works dispatch 705-474-4340.
- Younger children need you within reach at all times to spot them on equipment and to be there when their small hands or feet slip unexpectedly.
Encourage Children to Play Safe by Making Sure They...
- Wait their turn
- Have only one child at a time on the equipment
- Sit down on the swing
- Go down slides feet first
- Hold onto hand grips and railings
Be sure Children Play on Age-Appropriate Equipment
Remain on the Playground with the Children at all Times
Check Blind Spots Every Few Minutes
- These are areas of the playground that are blocked from view (e.g. inside closed slides)
Stop Bullying Behavior
This information is taken from Safe Kids Canada, "Child's Play" a Playground Safety Guide.
For more information visit the North Bay and District Health Unit Select Safety Topic.