Fire Safety Tips for the ‘May 2-4’ Weekend

With a chill in the air this Victoria Day weekend, North Bay Fire & Emergency Services would like to provide a few pointers to the die-hard campers and cottage goers as well as for the safe use of fireworks. May ‘2-4’ is a time for celebration….not tragedy.

At the Cottage and Trailer

  • Pack a supply of batteries for smoke and CO alarms and/or replacement alarms for older models. Remember, the low battery warning may have sounded during the winter months leaving the alarm inoperable;
  • check burners and exhaust systems of all appliances for blockages or obstructions such as insects, rodent nests, rust fragments or other debris that could lead to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide;
  • have propane or gas-fired appliances such as stoves, refrigerators and heaters inspected and/or repaired by a TSSA certified technician;
  • use fuel burning space heaters according to the manufactures instructions and only in well ventilated areas. Every year, unsuspecting campers are seriously injured or killed due to carbon monoxide poisoning as the result of improper use;
  • clean your barbecue and check for any fuel leaks by applying a 50/50 solution of water and dish soap and keep in mind barbeques are approved for outdoor use only.

Around the Campsite

  • Ensure open-fires are permitted by local and provincial authorities. Clean up the fire pit and cut back any branches or brush that may have grown too close; and
  • use only paper or kindling when starting a fire at your campsite. Be sure the fire is in a safe, open area, well away from flammables and other natural combustibles;
  • Never leave a fire unattended.

Fireworks 

* to minimize the risk of fire and burn injury, the fire service does not recommend family firework displays.  If you choose to have such a display…

  • Ensure the adult in charge has read and follows the directions on the fireworks package;
  • discharge fireworks away from buildings, trees and dry grass;
  • keep onlookers a safe distance away and only discharge if wind conditions do not create a hazard;
  • light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground;
  • have a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging, for dud fireworks wait 30 minutes then soak them in a bucket of water;

keep sparklers away from children.  Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and severe burns.