It’s Fire Prevention Week!
North Bay, Oct. 4, 2019 - Fire Prevention Week runs from October 6-12, 2019. This year’s theme is “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!” When the smoke alarms sound, everyone must know where to go – that’s why it is so important for everyone to have working smoke alarms and to develop and practise a home fire escape plan.
“In a fire, you may have only seconds to safely escape your home,” said Fire Chief Jason Whiteley. “Practise your home fire escape plan and make sure everyone can get out safely.”
Fire and smoke can spread quickly, so be prepared in advance with these simple steps for home fire escape planning:
Assess the needs of everyone in your home
- Identify anyone who requires assistance to get out of the home safely, such as small children or older adults
- Make sure that you have working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas and check the expiration date
- Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm
- Identify all possible exits (doors and windows) and make sure they work
- Know two ways out of all areas, if possible
- Everyone must know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds
- Assign someone to help those who need assistance
- Identify a safe meeting place outside
- Call the fire department from a neighbour’s home or cell phone
- Practice your home fire escape plan
- Have everyone participate
North Bay Fire & Emergency Services will be taking part in a number of events for Fire Prevention Week. Please join us…..
- Saturday Oct. 5 – North Bay Farmers Market – fire crew handing out fire safety information
- Wednesday Oct. 9, 10:00 – 6:00 pm – ‘Fill a Fire Truck with Food’. Food Bank Fundraiser at Parkers Independent Grocers.
- Thursday Oct. 10, North Bay Battalion Hockey game – fire helmets for all children in attendance.
- Saturday Oct. 12, 10:00 – Noon – Open House at Fire Station 1, 119 Princess St. W. Come check out the fire trucks, meet our firefighters and Sparky and take away fire safety information.
TEST YOUR SMOKE AND CO ALARMS!