Event Hosting Program
Please note applications must be made in the calendar year in which the event takes place.
If the event takes place early in the New Year exceptions will be given to the “2 month prior to event” requirements in the guidelines.
The Event Hosting Program provides a tool designed to assist local organizations to attract high impact events to our community. In addition to the immediate economic benefits associated to hosting events, this program is part of the City’s strategy to showcase and promote our City with the objective of long-term economic development. Individuals, organizations or businesses may submit a written application to the Parks, Recreation and Leisure Services Department.
The City of North Bay and its community groups have experienced considerable success in attracting and hosting a wide range of conferences, meetings, sporting activities and special events at various levels. The City continues to support events on an ongoing basis through the existence and availability of facilities and infrastructure. These events individually, and more noticeably collectively, provide a significant economic impact to the community and provide an opportunity to showcase and promote the many positive attributes of our City.
These events and tournaments are organized and run by the dedicated volunteer groups with the assistance of the city resources and facilities as required.
Over the last 10 years, the City of North Bay has supported many of these events through the Event Hosting Program. In order to ensure that the program was meeting the needs of the community groups, the program committee reviewed the application, evaluation form and eligibility criteria in 2013. We are now excited to share that the new Event Hosting Program has been launched and is now ready to start receiving applications under the new guidelines.
The market for many events has become competitive and often requires a bidding or application process. The primary purpose of establishing the Event Hosting Program is to act as a tool designed to provide financial assistance to specific events involving a competitive bid and/or application process which, in turn, will:
- Result in a significant economic impact in the community; and/or
- Present the opportunity to showcase and promote the City of North Bay to new visitors
- Individuals, organizations or businesses may submit an application for funding
- Financial contributions can be used to:
- Develop publications, advertisements and/or promotional material
- Offset some of the operating costs incurred for hosting large events that have already been secured through a competitive bid and/or application process
- Assist special one-time events or individual events that have a substantial impact on the community’s economy
- Other relevant expenses incurred during the planning and implementation of the events
- Preference is given to priority events that align with the new sport/meeting tourism
- Preference is given to attracting new, major tourism events that generate significant economic impact for the
- Preference is given to priority events that demonstrate a high level of financial leverage and that provide opportunities for investment from other partners.
- Funding assistance will be in the form of a sponsorship grant (non-repayable).
- Although having received previous funding assistance from the Event Hosting Program does not exclude your organization/event to re-apply, preference will be giving to new
- The funding is not intended to support annual events on an on-going If an event has seen numerous changes and/or extensive growth, an application may be submitted for consideration.
- Not all projects meeting the program criteria outlined above will receive
- The above eligibility is subject to change without any prior notice.
Individuals, organizations or businesses may submit the completed Event Hosting Program Application to the City of North Bay’s Economic Development Department.
Written applications must be submitted a minimum of two (2) months prior to the date of the event.
With numerous competing priorities and limited resources, the Event Hosting Program provides a transparent process to evaluate applications with the focus of maximizing exposure, profile and the long range economic impact on the City.
A Review Committee, consisting of representatives from the Economic Development Department, Parks, Recreation and Leisure Services and the North Bay & District Chamber of Commerce will evaluate each application and make a decision as to approve or decline based on the scoring outcome. The Committee may decide to make a financial contribution or may provide assistance through the Grant Accessing Program Officer who will assist in identifying other funding sources and the preparation and submission of required applications.
The application will be evaluated using a rate card and will determine the impact of the event on the community. This rate card will also guide the Committee in determining the level of financial support that can be provided. In addition, the Committee may request a meeting with a representative of the Host applicant to gather further information pertaining to the event.
If approved, the Host applicant will receive a confirmation letter outlining next steps to obtain payment and clearly outlining that funding is contingent on the following:
- Acknowledging the City of North Bay as a sponsor and display the city logo at the event (e.g. in the program or event agenda, )
- Providing the Review Committee with a brief post-event report outlining the following no later than 30 days after the event:
- Number of attendees (include out of town guests separately)
- Number of hotel room nights (if any)
- Media coverage
- Listing of all other event sponsors and recognition received
- The Committee may also set specific conditions which could consist of but not be limited to the following:
- Confirmation of acceptance of the Host group application and/or bid
- Confirmation of the area facilities confirmation
The Event Hosting Program provides local community individuals, organizations and groups the opportunity to request a financial contribution to support their efforts in attracting new, high impact events to the City of North Bay. This program continues to support the strategy to showcase and promote the City with the overall objective of long term economic development.
For further information, please contact:
Community Event Facilitator
Parks, Recreation & Leisure Services
City of North Bay
Telephone: 705-474-0400 x 2312
"Thank you so very much for your support of Near North Voices' events. Having support like this from the city administration is a huge boost to our group's confidence and their sense of value in the community."
--Adam Adler, Near North Voices